Automotive

Blog for Monday, May 3rd 2010

Another busy and not busy week in the books. I haven’t been posting as often as I like but I haven’t had too much extra to show for it either. Okay, well maybe a little. I have finally be able to pick up on few things I haven’t worked on in what seems like Months. The transmission parts are back in town and it sounds like I will end up with it back at the end of this week or next week. I order the remainder of the engine parts required for assembly and installation on Friday which includes Headgaskets, bolt set, and a pair of knock sensors.

I also managed to get to harbor freight finally and spend an extra 15 bucks on polishing clays / compounds to finish polish my intake manifold. The results were instant, and is improved some 100 times over the old finish which I was happy with at the time but now it has been put to shame. Here is a picture of it where the left side was freshly polished (for 5 minutes) and the right side was the best I could muster using home-made remedies / hand sanding:

It was very impressive, and definitely instant. 30 Minutes or so later I had both sides finished:

I am excited to see it looking this way because stock wasn’t the answer:

Same picture essentially with slightly different camera settings:

I also did the fuel injector tops since I was lazy and didn’t bother with the lower manifold at all, this should keep the “dress up” flowing until it hits the valve covers:

They get the same sanding treatment that the manifold and valve covers ended up getting. Here they are at the last stage before polishing with the wheel:

Reflecting on the reflections:

It dressed it up very nicely overall:

Also this week’s part shipment. This is the timing belt, roller, tensioner, and appropriate valve cover gaskets:

I also installed the water pump and new thermostat. The autoparts store thermostat is round and the stock one is oval.. It still fits fine but I had one eyebrow raised throughout the process. Maybe I should have went with a 160 *F thermostat instead of a 180:

Since the weather has taken us on a bit of a wild ride over the last week I have spent more time inside than outside. Much of my work actually went towards electronics or specifically the instrument cluster. I have finally started coding the main rom that will run on the pic micro-controllers that input the data and display them on the LED’s. I have also started building a laminator out of an old laser printer fuser assembly. This will be used on the circuit board transfers to re-melt the toner onto the circuit board instead of using an iron for the process. This should produce consistent clear results every time. I haven’t taken much in the way of pictures yet but will create and dedicate a page to it once I am finished with the project. I have also designed a couple of new circuit boards that I am eager to cut out and build.

Well I am off to eat but a pretty good update for now to hold everyone over. See you back here this weekend!

Blog for Monday, May 3rd 2010
If you like stuff, rate it for us!
doogie
Mechanique' Extraordinaire
https://doogielabs.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.